Monday, August 5, 2013

Something Different

Last week I broke out of the monotonous of working as a waitress and worked at a Christian summer camp in Louisiana for deaf children. It was definitely the highlight of my summer. For starters it was one of the most humbling experiences I have ever had. Being apart of a Hearing culture automatically puts me in the majority. However, this last week I was part of the minority as I struggled to grasp the language (sign language) that was all around me. I used what knowledge I had of sign language, but I still struggled with communicating fluenting. I learned a lot not only about sign language but also about the Deaf culture as a whole. Unfortunately, for deaf individuals they are stereotyped as being deaf and dumb. However, if anyone was to spend a week around the people I associated with, he or she would find this statement to be far from the truth. It is sad that this stereotype has even been started and just shows how ignorant people can be when other people do not fit into a mold that they consider "normal." Ok I will get off my soapbox now because honestly I can go on and on about this subject. After camp, I visited my friend Alyssa and her sweet family, and they were kind enough to give me a tour of New Orleans. It was BEAUTIFUL and so much fun! I can't wait to go back and visit again! A really moving event happened to me on the way over to Alyssa's home. I hit traffic when I was halfway over a bridge. At first I was somewhat aggravated. I just wanted to hurry up and get to my destination and my phone battery was dying, which made me nervous about being on the road without communication. However, after sitting in traffic for 30 minutes without moving, I realized I was not going anywhere anytime soon, so I might as well enjoy the moment. I got out of my car and watched the sunset and read a book. There was a gentleman in a truck behind me who walked up to the front of the traffic line. He reported to me that there was a really bad accident where a 18 wheeler had hit two cars off the road and there were body bags everywhere. Instantly I felt convicted about being aggravated at first about being held up in traffic. I couldn't help but think about all the lives that were affected by the deaths of the people involved in the accident. Yeah sure I was two hours late to my destination, but I was so thankful to be alive. If I wouldn't have stopped to get gas, who is to say that I wouldn't of been one of those cars. The trip to Louisiana was not only fun but it gave me a new perspective on life. I need to enjoy life more and really try to fellowship with those around me. I should not be so focused on work, my life, and my problems that I forget to really live and by living I mean truly serving those around me.

Verse for the week: "My heart may fail and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart. He is mine forever." Psalm 73:26

P.S. I would like to give a shout out to +Matthew Denson for my package with yummy homemade cookies :)


My sweet friend Alyssa




The view from the bridge

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. And for some reason, picture 4 strikes me as just bursting with character.

    ReplyDelete